The Credit Union Difference
Credit Unions are member-owned and operated financial institutions
Typically run by a democratically-elected, volunteer board of directors, credit unions serve members, not stockholders. Any profits are returned back to member-owners in the form of reduced costs, free products and services, better rates, lower fees, and personalized services.
Credit Unions are not-for-profit cooperatives working to improve lives
As not-for-profits, credit unions exist to promote the well-being of their members. We provide affordable products and services to people of all financial means, including many in low-income and underserved communities. Our cooperative structure creates a cycle of mutual assistance towards the common goal of the financial well-being of members. One member’s savings becomes another member’s loan.
Credit Unions are socially and fiscally responsible, tax-paying entities
Contrary to popular beliefs, credit unions DO pay taxes, including sales, use, real estate, property taxes, and payroll taxes. However, they are exempt from certain taxes, like federal and state income taxes, because they are not-for-profit cooperatives, owned by members, instead of for-profit corporations. Additionally, these taxes would place a disproportionate and excessive burden on member-owners.
Experience the credit union difference with Black Hills Federal Credit Union in South Dakota
- When you save and borrow money through a credit union, you receive higher rates on savings, lower rates on loans, low or no fees and the personalized service you need to achieve financial success.
- In general, credit unions are twice as likely as banks to offer FREE checking accounts. *Source: Bankrate’s 2016 Credit Union Checking Survey
- As a BHFCU member, you have access to more than 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs and 7,000 shared branching locations nationwide through the CO-OP Network.
- Meanwhile, banks continue to charge more, and higher, fees to pay profits to stockholders. As a member-owner, you are our priority. That's why we keep fees to an absolute minimum.
- We’re passionate about serving your financial needs. Our employees are here to help you succeed at every stage of life by providing the great products and excellent service you need to achieve your personal, homeownership, and business goals.
- Credit unions are local, community-based financial institutions. As a credit union member, you're joining a family that's dedicated to improving lives in our community.
- Your funds are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.
Black Hills FCU Employees Give Back This May
Learn more about how BHFCU’s members and employees are working together to improve lives through community projects that support Meals on Wheels, World of Hearts Movement, and more.
Read Full Article
The Top 5 Reasons to Confirm Your Insurance Coverage
BHFCU Insurance agents are happy to visit with you regarding these important questions. Call 605-718-7888. The right insurance coverage is more important than just being covered. Make certain you have the right coverage.
Read Full Article
3 Tips to Manage Your Finances During COVID-19
BHFCU is helping members find the resources you need to move forward in changing times. Aside from economic assistance loans, payment modifications and Skip-A-Pay options, we want to provide you with tools to help you gain control of your money. Following are three tips to help you manage your finances through COVID-19.
Read Full Article