7 Manageable Money Goals this New Year
The new year is a great time to start on the path toward financial success. Before you make a hasty New Year's Resolution, be sure to review your finances and consider a few more manageable money goals that can help improve your financial future.
- Request and review your credit report. Requesting a free copy of your credit report is a convenient way to stay on top of your financial health. Learn more about your credit report in our blog post “Five Reasons to Check your Credit Report Today”.
- Pay bills right after receiving your paycheck. Taking care of your monthly obligations before indulging in luxury items is a helpful budgeting strategy. With our online Bill Pay service, we make it easy to pay bills and set up recurring payments.
- Repay 20% of your credit card debt. If you’re struggling to afford your monthly minimum payments, it may be time to get serious about getting out of credit card debt. Consider simplifying and reducing your high-interest debt with the Balance Transfer and Introductory Rate now available with BHFCU's VISA Credit Cards. This offer ends February 28, 2018.
- Add one month’s pay to your emergency savings fund. From injury to job loss, building up your emergency fund now can potentially save you from a lot of stress and hardship later. Stay on track with your savings goal by setting up an automatic transfer of funds to your savings account with every paycheck.
- Improve your credit score by 20 points. One of the best ways to improve your credit is to maintain an open credit card account in good standing. The positive history of your credit card can help build a short credit history and even counteract mistakes from the past. Apply for one of BHFCU’s VISA credit cards online or at your favorite Member Service Center.
- Make a realistic budget and stick to it. Start by tracking your monthly spending and making a list of all your recurring expenses. Then, eliminate or reduce unnecessary expenses in order to save more or pay off debt. Monitor your spending through Online Banking and our top-rated Mobile App.
- Read a personal finance book. Financial literacy is an important part of achieving financial success. Learn more about managing your finances by picking up a book about personal finance at your local bookstore. A few of our employees favorite books include The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey, Make Your Kid A Money Genius (Even If You're Not): A Parent's Guide For Kids by Beth Kobliner, Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook by Tony Robbins, and Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki.
BHFCU is dedicated to improving lives by helping you achieve financial success. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff is here to help you with your money goals in 2018. Give us a call or stop by one of our Member Service Centers
to learn more about our convenient products and services.